Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Ideal Ideas I'll Do



The past couple of days were spent tweaking the business
blog, & my dear friends, I do believe I've finally done it. It's got spunk, a lil' story behind it, my mug up front and personal, a couple of pics thrown in for good measure and ...Walla! A bizznezz blog is born. May not be the ideal site or the hottest (due to the missing "hot-chick" factor) but it will serve the purpose.

It's true that it will take a lot for me to start blogging but seriuosly, it is an ideal idea I'll do.. mmm.. kinda a toungue twister huh? Ok, I'll pickup where I last left off.

It's 1979 - 1988, and it was the best part of my life as everything (almost) was free! Yup, I just woke up & breakfast was served, in school I was given pocket money (back then it started with RM1 then progressed to RM2 due to inflation), got home had tea then later dinner & at the blink of an eye, it started all over again. When I grew bigger than my clothes, I'd get new ones. I was brought up thinking go to school, study hard, get a good job, & everything will fall in place. I failed to mention that I didn't study hard, sometimes used to skip school to go play snooker nearby, and when D-Day came (SPM : Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia) the results were, how should I put it... BAD! The truth is I barely passed with a Grade 3. Friends were jumping and nearly fainting when they saw they had 4-5 A's, I was nearly fainting cause I had passed! Imagine this scenario, my buddies skipped a compulsory paper to go play snooker! Thank god I didn't folllow!
:)

Anyway fastforward to the future sees me entering F.I.T. technical college (don't laugh! At that time they were still honest and running a profitable business). Knowing I didn't have the "smarts" like my fellow future Engineers, I decided to one -up and do part-time studies while working to gain technical experience. I started at Sitt Tatt Industrial Gas as a Production Clerk. Bloody boring job. Skipped to Steel Recon Industries (S.R.I) the guys that put fire extinguishers everywhere. Chances are, there is a S.R.I. Fire Extinguisher at your office now. I was a Production Supervisor at their plant in Puchong. There is where I really learnt some important stuff in life. The lessons learnt are:

1. Hard work pays

2. Fast learners get ahead
3. Experience is invaluable
4. If you are a professional (i.e. Engineer etc), you need paper qualifications.
5. The more paper you have, the more doors open.

After close to a year there while "still" in night school to finish my Mechanical Engineering Diploma course, I was handling the daily operations of the factory producing these extinguishers from the metal press right up to filling the powder type fire retardent till spraying it. Even hiring & firing. This was because my boss, a young Chinese guy decided to skip ship and join another firm. This is when (the 1st step towards events business) I met the most useless chap I have ever known. He was a Degree holder that didn't know much about engineering
(I suspect he bought it).

Got fed up and also decided to throw the ball long and see what will it hit. There was an interview for Production Engineer at Kawasaki Sunrock, and when I went there, there wer 4-6 smartly dressed individuals with briefcases, ties, the works. And here I am, with my torn jeans and safety boots, dirty fingernails cause I've just serviced a Forklift! And did I mention that I came by motorbike (a Suzuki 100cc Scrambler). DISASTER!!

Lo & behold, I found that I had the gift of gab, added with a dash of Charisma, I got the job! I later found out from my collegue that we are part of Kawasaki heavy Industries and have a total of 5,000 Engineers worldwide. Yours truly just so happen to be the YOUNGEST! I received my letter of employment before my 21st birthday, while my buddies were still going to college.

Things were great, so comfortable that when I finally finished my course, I didn't even bother going for the Engineering Diploma exam (B-I-G mistake!). That's when life hit me...

Remember what I learnt before? (see item no.4 & 5). Well, our Engineering manager was moving on and it's down to 4 of us to take his place. Guess what happened? Yup, some doofus came in with a Double Degree and sat there! Man, that was enough for me. I decided to go on the road and see where it will lead me. I resigned after one & a half years as an Engineer.

I chanced upon an ad for an Events Executive (thought to myself, yea man, it will be like late nights, party, fast women etc) and decided to have a go. Got the job at my 1st Events company and found out it's the clients that party and us that works! Ciss...

Read about what I have morphed into & the events I have handle before, here.